Full-time, fully paid PhD/PostDoc positions in “Machine Learning for Estimation and Control” and “Cybersecurity for Information Processing” at the Intelligent Sensor-Actuator-Systems Laboratory (ISAS), Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT), Karlsruhe, Germany
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT):
KIT combines its three core tasks: research, higher education, and innovation within one mission. With about 9,400 employees and 25,000 students, KIT is one of the big institutions of research and higher education in natural sciences and engineering in Europe. KIT is located in Germany in the medium-sized city of Karlsruhe with a very high quality of life.
Chair for Intelligent Sensor-Actuator-Systems (ISAS):
ISAS (http://isas.iar.kit.edu) works on modern machine learning methods for estimation and control with applications to
- Optimization of industrial processes, e.g., optical sorting machines,
- Traffic management for air traffic control and pedestrian simulation,
- Development of assistive functions in telepresence systems and in medical engineering,
- Sensor data processing in networks, e.g., industrial process automation and monitoring,
- Measuring, processing, and visualizing spatially distributed data in large environments.
Description of Positions:
We are seeking to fill four (4) PhD/PostDoc positions with excellent candidates, who will work closely together in the following areas:
- Multi-sensor data fusion in industrial applications in close collaboration with Trumpf & Co. KG.
- Secure remote monitoring using data fusion with homomorphic encryption.
- Estimation and AR/VR visualization of spatial distributions for toxic pollutants.
- Optical belt sorting under dynamic conditions.
All positions offer the possibility to cooperate with our network of partners from industry and academia on a national and international basis.
We offer intensive mentoring and a quick path to the PhD degree (≤ 3 years). Besides research, the supervision of bachelor/master theses and participation in teaching is expected.
- Master's degree (or equivalent) or PhD in computer science, electrical engineering, mechanical engineering, mathematics, or a related subject.
- Very good mathematical knowledge.
- Moderate proficiency in programming.
- Know-how in stochastics and signal processing (are advantageous, but not a prerequisite).
- High self-motivation, team working skills, and readiness for interdisciplinary work.
- Proficiency in the English language (spoken and written).
- Commitment to publish research results.
- Willingness to travel internationally (conferences, research stays, ...).
The positions are full-time, fully paid researcher positions according to "Vergütungsgruppe des Tarifvertrages des öffentlichen Dienstes" TV-L E 13. This may increase depending on experience.
Submit applications including cover letter, CV, and academic transcripts in electronic form to:
Univ.-Prof. Dr.-Ing. habil. Uwe D. Hanebeck
Karlsruhe Institute of Technology (KIT)
Department of Informatics
Institute for Anthropomatics and Robotics (IAR)
Chair for Intelligent Sensor-Actuator-Systems (ISAS)
KIT is pursuing a gender equality policy and encourages women to apply.
Furthermore, in case of equal qualification, preference is given to applicants with disabilities.